PALOMARMOUNTAIN.NET Forum Index
FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups  - Register  - Profile  - Log in to check your private messages  - Log in
My Cousin JULIAN with his two SONS Sail the HIGH SEAS in the
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PALOMARMOUNTAIN.NET Forum Index > Palomar Mountain (and Related) in the News!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

sysop
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: My Cousin JULIAN with his two SONS Sail the HIGH SEAS in the Reply with quote
MyState Australian Wooden Boat Festival
@AWBFestival
State Australian Wooden Boat Festival
August 7, 2014 ·

LAST VINTAGE

A once luxurious sailing vessel that was the pride of the Whitsundays tourist fleet will be a feature of next year’s MyState Wooden Boat Festival in Hobart where she is undergoing major restoration.

Last Vintage, as the vessel is now known, is a staggering 33 metres in length with a total weight of 127 tonnes. She features eight state rooms all with en suites and a rich wood-panelled entertainment, bar and dining area. She is powered by sail as well as an eight cylinder Gardiner marine engine.
Last Vintage, previously known as Pacific Sunrise, was acquired earlier this year by leading Tasmanian winemaker Julian Alcorso – hence the new name! When Julian completes his last vintage at Winemaking Tasmania in 2016 and retires, he intends to set sail around the world with son Matthew and a small number of selected sailing mates.

Last Vintage was built in Fiji in the very early 80s as an inter-island cargo vessel before being taken to New Zealand in the 1990s where she was fitted out as a floating hotel and taken to the Whitsundays as a high priced tourist venue.

Unfortunately, her owners struck trouble and the vessel lay idle for an extended period during which there was little or no maintenance undertaken. However, most of her restoration needs are superficial. A marine survey undertaken since her arrival in Tasmania has confirmed the vessel is structurally sound.

Julian and his sons Matthew and Claude, along with a few friends, have already begun the task of restoring Last Vintage to her former glory.
People attending the MyState Australian Wooden Boat Festival will be given the opportunity to see at first hand Last Vintage and the work that is being done. They may even have the chance to go on board to sample some of Julian’s premium wines as well as a selection of Tasmania’s fine foods.

Thank you to Julian for this information.

I have never met JULIAN, only his mother DIANA, and her father uncle NED, who is my mothers brother., Uncle NED operated several GOLD MINES in PAPUA NEW GUINEA for many years and during WORLD WAR 2 ENLISTED with his his YOUNGER brother UNCLE VIC in the US ARMY BATTLE of SMALL Ships-they were involved in ACTIVE DUTY on the shores of NEW GUINEA bringing in SUPPLIES and returning wounded soldiers to ships headed for Australia. They were both decorated by the US ARMY for their HEROIC DEEDS YH

Julian Alcorso, right, with his son Mat Alcorso on board Last Vintage before leaving Hobart. Picture: RICHARD JUPE
Tasmania
Vintage decision by Tasmanian winemaker Julian Alcorso to sail high seas with son Mat
JESSICA HOWARD, Mercury
February 8, 2016 5:00am

MANY retirees might plan to potter around the garden in their golden years — not award-winning Tasmanian winemaker Julian Alcorso.

The man largely credited with founding Tasmania’s wine industry finally set off with his son Mat on board their 110-foot ketch, Last Vintage, yesterday.

The boat features eight state rooms and a rich wood-panelled entertainment, bar and dining area. She is powered by sail as well as an eight-cylinder Gardiner marine engine.

The pair plan to let the high seas take them where it wants.

“At my age, you take it a decade at a time — if I can get five years pottering around Australia, five years in the Mediterranean, five years around the Caribbean, and if I’m really lucky, another five years in the Pacific, I’ll have had a ball,” Mr Alcorso said.

“I was a workaholic, so I wasn’t really sure what I would do if I did retire. I can’t imagine playing golf every day and watching daytime TV — that didn’t hold any appeal
to me.

“So far, we’ve fulfilled our main aim, which was to head down the Derwent and turn left, get to Tasman Island and turn left again.”

The Last Vintage will spend time on the slips in Devonport before the pair tackle Bass Strait.

Originally published as Vintage decision to sail high seas

Lovers of the large and luxurious in wooden sailing vessels will have the chance to wine, dine and inspect the magnificent 33 metre Last Vintage at the forth-coming MyState Australian Wooden Boat Festival in Hobart.

Last Vintage is owned by leading Tasmanian winemaker Julian Alcorso, who bought the vessel in early 2014 and sailed her from the Whitsundays to Hobart where she is undergoing an extensive refit and refurbishment. By 2016, when the work is completed, Julian and his son Matt, along with two other crew members, will set sail for the Mediterranean via the
Caribbean.

During the Wooden Boat Show, Julian plans to open the gangplank each day to a limited number of guests for lunch and dinner. They will be treated on board to some of Tasmania’s finest foods prepared by leading
chefs as well as premium wines made by Julian him-self.

Last Vintage, originally named Markson and later Pa-cific Sunrise, is a ketch rigged, traditionally built, tim-ber motor sailer of 159 tonnes. She has a sail area of 221 square metres combined with an eight cylinder
Gardiner marine engine.
The hull, which remains sound, is built from Fijian Kauri while the deck is Teak. Built in Fiji by Whippy Brothers Boatbuilding, she was designed by B.W. Donovan as an inter-island trad-ing vessel. In the 1990s she was taken to New Zealand where she was fitted out as a floating hotel, renamed Pacific Sunrise and taken to the Whitsundays as a lux-ury tourism charter. With eight state rooms all with their own en suites and a rich wood panelled enter-tainment, bar and dining area, she was a star at-traction. Unfortunately, the owners struck trouble and the vessel lay idle for an extended period dur-ing which there was little or no maintenance un-dertaken.

Since her arrival in Hobart the vessel has been re-named Last Vintage in deference to Julian Alcorso’s impending retirement from winemaking. New sails have been cut and new rigging will be fitted in the New Year. The imposing bow sprit has been updat-ed and the Samson post strengthened. The decks have been re-caulked and varnished along with much of the feature timberwork both inside and outside.

The restoration of Last Vintage is being managed by Julian’s son Matthew. Julian says Tasmania’s depth of talent in the building and maintenance of wooden boats is a huge benefit in undertaking a project of this scale.

The Lap of Luxury

I

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PALOMARMOUNTAIN.NET Forum Index > Palomar Mountain (and Related) in the News!
Page 1 of 1